Toronto Mayor John Tory faces allegations, resigns
John Tory has resigned after serving 3 consecutive terms as Mayor of Toronto due to an allegation against him. John Tory is accused of having an affair with a former staffer during the pandemic. John Tory said that I apologize to the people of the city of Toronto, my family and especially my wife. I think I have broken your trust somewhere.
John Tory said in his statement that – I am very sorry and I apologize unconditionally to the people of Toronto, my family. John Tory has admitted that he was in a relationship with a 31-year-old former female staffer during the COVID-19 pandemic.
John Tory’s tenure
- John Tory first took office as Mayor of Toronto in the 2014 election, defeating Doug Ford and Olivia Chow.
- After this, John Tory became mayor by winning the election again in 2018.
- After this, John’s term was extended again for 4 years and he became the mayor of Toronto for the third time.
- Following the resignation of John Tory, there will be a re-election for a newly elected mayor.
- John Tory told that their affair started during the pandemic period, which has been ended with mutual consent this year. John has not made public the name of any woman nor has given any other information on this subject.
John Tory’s future
On his strategy going forward, John Tory has said that for the time being he will lend his support to city staff and Deputy Mayor Jennifer McKelvey and continue to work to restore order in Toronto. But with the resignation of John Tory, Toronto’s work has come to a standstill and for the time being everything is in the hands of the deputy mayor. Until Toronto gets an official mayor, Toronto’s development will be stalled.